The Purdue Alumni Association provides liability insurance coverage to alumni groups and their volunteer leaders for those participating in the alumni club program. Coverage is provided for bodily injury and property damage resulting from club events or activities, and for personal injury other than bodily injury. There is no cost to clubs to receive the liability insurance coverage. Coverage is provided to clubs located in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Canada.
Clubs should be aware that the liability coverage purchased contains standard exclusions found in most commercial liability policies. A few of those exclusions are of particular importance and are highlighted below:
- Alcohol – Coverage is not provided if the insured distributes, sells, serves, or furnishes alcoholic beverages. Clubs should use a licensed caterer/bartender with liquor liability coverage if alcohol is going to be served.
- Athletics – Coverage is not provided for a person injured while taking part in athletics. Athletics include, but are not limited to, activities such as golf, softball, volleyball, basketball, bowling, etc.
- Contractual Liability – Coverage is not provided for liability assumed by contract.
- Expected or Intended Injury – Coverage is not provided for an activity in which an injury could be expected or is intentionally caused.
- Aircraft, Auto or Watercraft – Coverage is not provided for any claims arising out of the use of aircraft, automobiles, or watercraft.
Risk Officer Duties
The risk officer of each club, is expected to implement and monitor the following practices:
- If alcohol is going to be served, hire a licensed caterer/bartender with liquor liability coverage to do all serving.
- Since coverage is not provided for an injury while taking part in athletics, the club should request all participants in athletic endeavors sign a waiver that releases Purdue University, The Trustees of Purdue University, the club, as well as the Purdue Alumni Association, its insurers and those organizing the event of any liability. Use the waiver form on the next page. Waivers should be retained by the club for at least two years following an event.
- Refrain from assuming liability in any contract. This would include assuming liability in any facility lease agreement where the club is asked to indemnify the facility owner for premises liability losses where the club has no control over premises maintenance or the general condition of the premises.
- Part of effective risk management involves confirming that third parties you do business with are financially responsible if their services cause or contribute to an insurance claim. Obtaining a Certificate of Insurance will help assure this by providing evidence of insurance.
- The risk officer would also have waiver forms available for events not covered by the Purdue Alumni insurance policy.
- This officer would also be responsible for filling out an Accident Reporting and Investigation form (Appendix I) in case of an accident at a club event.
Some venues may request the club provide a “Certificate of Insurance”. If the club is requested to provide a certificate, contact your club liaison at least seven days prior to needing the certificate.
Appendix H: Waiver, Release, and Hold Harmless Agreement
In consideration of my participation in the______________________________ (the “Activity”), I represent, covenant, and agree as follows:
I acknowledge that participating in the Activity involves certain risks (some of which I may not fully appreciate) and that injuries, death, property damage, or other harm could occur to me or others. I accept and voluntarily incur all risks of any injuries, damages, or harm which arise during or result from my participation in the Activity, regardless of whether or not it was caused in whole or in part by the negligence of the Purdue Alumni Club of ______________________________, Purdue University, The Trustees of Purdue University, Purdue Alumni Association, and their insurers, departments, leaders, affiliates, employees, trustees, officers, agents, volunteers (“Released Parties”).
I waive all claims against any of the Released Parties for any injuries, damages, losses, or claims, whether known or unknown, which arise during or result from my participation in the Activity, regardless of whether or not caused in whole or part by the negligence or other fault of any of the Released Parties. I release and forever discharge the Released Parties from all such claims.
I agree to indemnify and hold the Released Parties harmless from all losses, liabilities, damages, costs or expenses (including but not limited to reasonable attorneys’ fees and other litigation costs and expenses) incurred by any of the Released Parties as a result of any claims or suits that I (or anyone claiming by, under or through me) may bring against any of the Released Parties to recover any losses, liabilities, costs, damages, or expenses which arise during or result from my participation in the Activity, regardless of whether or not caused in whole or part by the negligence or other fault of any of the Released Parties.
I have carefully read and reviewed this Waiver and Release Agreement. I understand it fully and I execute it voluntarily.